Clematis Montana

house_first_timer(9)April 15, 2014

I have several italian cypress trees that are not doing well in front of my house, i think they got disease and lost a lot of leaves.

I'm thinking of growing clematis montana to cover the bare spots of the cypress trees, is this a good idea? the cypress trees are at least 25 ft tall. I'm currently trying with morning glories:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Sorry I don't know much about Italian Cyprus but I think if you have mg seeds I'd try those first since they are inexpensive and bloom all summer once they get going!
The clematis is only a spring bloomer ( that variety ). It may take longer to cover as well . Good luck either way ! :)

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 7:03PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Clematis montana will cover a small house. It will almost certainly smother your cypresses and kill off any remaining green parts. I would not grow it up any living thing, except possibly a very large, old and declining deciduous tree.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 6:09AM
house_first_timer(9)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I didn't know that the montana will kill the cypress, Anyway, I've started some MG seedlings at the base of the cypress:)

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Need advice for rehabing clematis
I had a Duchess of Edinburgh (Type 2) growing on both...
subk3
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™