Managing residency requirements & waiting lists?

LizzaNVAMay 8, 2014

I'm wondering how other community gardens manage their waiting lists and residency requirements. I finally got a plot in my county of Alexandria, VA after 3 years on the waiting list. So in my conversations with my fellow gardeners I've learned that many are not residents in Alexandria but rather live in other counties that often have MORE gardens available. Plus there are gardeners with more than one plot within a family. It's not fair to the residents who pay the taxes. Yes, they pay about $15-30 more a year but that's pocket change to these folks. I understand why they stay. This is the most strict organic garden in the area. It also often takes several years to get a plot going (amending the soil/removing weeds) so they've invested time, sweat equity, and all the stuff they used to amend their soil. Also, several I spoke with were residents of Alexandria when they joined the waiting list but have since moved.

What do other CG's do in these cases? I'd like to pass any info onto the organizer. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cghpnd

I am part of Reston Garden plots. One must be a resident in order to obtain a plot. No outsiders no matter what. We have 4 here in Reston. They check to see if someone lives where they say they live. There are no exceptions to the rules. Theres a waiting list here too.
I think that each county should only rent to their own residents.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
Thinking of Joining a Community Garden
Hello all, I am thinking about renting a plot from...
kcg1231
Community Garden magazine story
Hello, I am writing a story for Modern Farmer magazine...
JesseModFarmer
Help Olin College students understand community gardens!
Hi everyone, We're a group of students at Olin College...
OlinForGardeners
No Community Garden? Sharing Backyards!
I wasn't sure where to post this information on the...
BluenoseDee
How do you motivate volunteers?
Our town has a new community garden, organized by a...
pink_overalls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™