Is my lemon tree dead after freezing?

nomes1March 10, 2007

I have a dwarf (Meyers?) lemon tree in my yard that's been flourishing for years. I think this last brutal winter has done it in though. All the leaves are brown and dry. Is there any chance that it will come back? I didn't know enough to cover it to protect it from the freeze. :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

Take a look at the branches...are they green. Take your finger nail and scrape off a bit from a branch(if brown or a non-green color) or the trunk and see if there is green underneath. I have a Tarrocco blood orange that was affected by the cold (20 deg. and I didn't protect it)but it still have some green branches(and many brown ones...no leaves of course) so I'm waiting to see what happens, and there's a branch leafing out but it seems to be a water sprout coming from below the graft. At least that's a good sign that something is still alive.

Since you've had it for years, I's say it's worth waiting for if you see any signs of life. One thing I did for all my citrus was water them with B-1 (or use Superthrive) ...first they suffered from the hot summer, then the cold winter...it seemed like the genteel thing to do.

jc

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™