OT-Carport canopy?

kasha77October 29, 2011

I can't remember who it was that I spoke to- she mentioned that she bought a carport canopy and turned it into a greenhouse and it worked just fine! We need to find one of these ans use it as a cover for my 10' x 24' greenhouse from Harbor freight- (which is terrible at holding heat at all! :( If that person could contact me here or by my email, I'd greatly appreciate it or I'm not going to be using my GH this winter!

Any other ideas for covering/enclosing a GH to keep heat from escaping? (economical please!)

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

We used weather stripping around the panels during installation. After a few years with some battering wind storms a few drafts did develop, even with the weather stripping. We found great way to seal it by accident. Bruce wanted a way to make sure that snow wouldn't accumulate on top so he took heavy gauge hoop house plastic and literally wrapped the GH. Not only did that allow the snow to slide right off but it sealed up all the drafts that had developed. He secured it with bunji cords and it held just fine throughout the winter. It sounds like the same idea as the carport cover. I'd think the plastic is much less expensive but it's not very attractive.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 12:01PM
rmbill(6a)

I am going to buy bales of straw and stack two high all around my greenhouse for in the spring. Last year was a killer with all the propane that I had to use and then I ran out once and almost lost all of my plants. I will be starting it up the first of March. It may sound kind of makeshift but I have seen others do it so it probably helps.
The clear sheet plastic (visqueen)sounds good also. I may do that, too. They have it at Home Depot.
Bill

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 6:51PM
Ament(5a SD)

Good Luck with the green houses guys & gals. I've got cuttings scattered through out the house LoL Hopefully DH gets tired of them and gets me a green house hehe!

~Tina

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 2:00PM
chena(z8 Texas)

get the 6mm...

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 4:13PM
fool4flowers(8)

I made ours out of one of those but then reinforced with wood and installed windows and used hardi board on the walls. The plastic disintegrated every year and it got too aggrevating to constantly replace. I still have it on the doors though. You could get some cheap tarps and duct tape them together and wrap it. My tarp over the oversized door in the back lasted 3 years. Get some expanding foam and fill any cracks that you can feel air from on a windy day.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
brugmansia cuttings for postage?
Hi Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile, my new little...
keriann_lakegeneva
Question for Rosie1949. Re overwintering brugs in water
I posted this on another thread but since it may not...
mnwsgal 4 MN
goodgirl35us
Gotta love the Brugs.
About 5 years ago I was givin' the chance to get 4...
Hal Warrick
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Sponsored Products
Sunbrella: 9-ft. Sunbrella Deluxe Tilt Aluminum Patio Umbrella
$254.98 | Hayneedle
Double Drum 18" Wide White Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Chocolate Blossom Giclee Glow 16" Wide Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
Kyoto Pendant by Fire Farm
$332.10 | Lumens
Crystal Beaded - Brushed Nickel Double Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus