Bayor advanced fruit citrus and vegetable insect control problem?

jstn01March 3, 2012

My wife made a application of this product in the last week of october in 2011. With out knowing I made a application this year in the first week of January, When the growth of my citrus started to really take off. My question is on the label it says that you can only apply once a year, by obviously applying twice do I have a problem. All my citrus are gone for the year except for my gold nugget, mandarines that are still on the tree. Should I just throw them away? I called bayor and they were very un helpful so I was hoping to find some help here.

Thanks

Justin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Hi Justin, if it were me I would NOT eat them just to be on the safe side. Especially if the company themselves says to only apply it once a year. Better safe than sorry right? Just not worth it...just my opinion, of course...Good luck!

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 2:15PM
johnmerr(11)

It is imidicloprid, a relatively harmless product. I don't think 2 applications is any problem; but one should be enough, as it is absorbed into the plant and works as a systemic. I think if you look closely at the label, it will tell you how many days you have to wait to eat the fruit. If you can't find the info on the label, I might wait 2 or 3 weeks before eating the fruit; but again, it is a relatively harmless product. Some nurseries use it as a soil drench to kill soil-borne insects and enter the plant as a systemic; usually such plants have a label that says "ISD" (Imidicloprid Soil Drench).

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 2:25PM
jstn01

Thanks for the information I will read the label

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 2:51PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Ditto what John said, jstn. On the non-organic insecticide scale, Imidicloprid appears to be very safe. With citrus there are no post-harvest timing restrictions. I wouldn't worry about it. You can now rest assured that any CLM you might have this spring will be well taken care of! And, in the future, if you do have aphids or CLM issues, you'll want to apply Imidicloprid after you've harvested your fruit if possible, and again, if possible, right after fruit set, post-blossom. That way, your bees are protected, and you'll have the product in the tree's system closer to CLM time (which for me starts around end of July in S. Calif.) And here John, you'll see this commercially applied as Merit :-)

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™