Utilize abandoned property

gdnh(5)June 21, 2010

In our town there are several houses apparently foreclosed by some out of town bank waist high grass broken windowns etc. How about an informal community garden roto till the yard and give out plots. I guess its risky in case the owner (a bank I guess) shows up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Trespassing and vandalism (if you hit the sprinkler systems). If you know what the bank is, write and get their permission.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 3:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

Squatting is generally illegal. Plus gardens take time investment and you are very likely to lose the effort and cash that you put into it when you are thrown out rather abruptly.

I suggest you try vacant lots that are NOT in foreclosure. Contact the owner and offer to pay $1 a year to garden on the site. The owner gets the benefit of not having to keep the weeds under control.

If you do that, you will have to purchase liability insurance that covers both the gardeners and the land owner. Those policies are pretty cheap if there is no building.

The benefit is that you know you can garden until harvest, and if you take good care and look neat, you might get to keep the use for a couple of years, since bare lots are virtually unsalable in this economy.

Bookmark   December 18, 2010 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Dawn Redwood
Hello... does anyone know if the famous "Dawn...
JulieB10
size of most plots in community gardens?
we are starting a community garden in baytown, tx....
bagins
No Community Garden? Sharing Backyards!
I wasn't sure where to post this information on the...
BluenoseDee
Managing residency requirements & waiting lists?
I'm wondering how other community gardens manage their...
LizzaNVA
Temporary fencing for my plot
I'm new to community gardening and I have rented 2...
happygardener23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™