The Lesson: Check Twice before Throwing It Out

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)July 16, 2012

Hi All,

So I was rooting a Sans. leaf, for a longggggggtime & got curious, pulled the leaf out & it was a goner so I tossed it. I put the pot back w/out looking further & thought Oh Well.

A month or so later, I picked up the pot to plant something else in it & found this:

It seems there was still a rhizome in the pot & these are baby Sans. starting to pop up (that's all that was in that pot). I'll post further as they develop; fun accident.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Propaganda Garden Design

Did something similar with an outdoor plant that was dormant the other day. I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't even check since it lost its leaves the moment I planted it 3 months ago. Tricodesma scottii. It looked just like brown twigs sticking out of the ground so I yanked it out and started beating on the rootball to break up some of the soil before I tossed it and only then did I realize there were young dormant leaves and one of the stems was still green inside.

So dumb. I put it back in the ground but we'll see if it recovers from the indignity I put it through.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 7:29AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

That's so cool! I see 3 pups! You must be pretty excited about that. They sure are cute.

Don't know if you remember seeing one of my pots of Sans with a Dief in its' pot, but I literally yanked the Dief out of that pot a few weeks ago and although hardly any roots came with it, it's doing well in its' own little pot. AND I noticed more Dief sprouting in the Sans yesterday. Some plants really want to live.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 4:01PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yeah Clematis, the things we do to these plants, huh? Here's hoping yours recovers.

Hi Purple,

Yes, I did see your post about the the Dief w/ Sans. pot, they sure are determined. As I said in my other post about this (at Sans. forum, I think)

"These plants are so determined to live NO MATTER WHAT!!!"

Can't wait for these little things to get a big bigger, you're right, they're gonna be soooo cute! Don't I sound like a proud mother?

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:09PM
marguerite_gw

Just one of the serendipitous occurrences that make gardening so special. Congratulations, Karen.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:18AM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Plants are amazingly resilient. It is so hard to throw out even the smallest plant.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 3:02PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yes, thanks Marguerite, they really are pretty amazing these plants.

I'm misting them every few days as it's been super hot in NYC lately, 100 degrees 2 days ago & I have no AC. I don't want them to get dried out, which I've had happen w/ some seedlings in these weather extreme.

I hope Norma sees this, she'd be delighted & I'm quick to say it was one of her suggestions, even if I didn't do it deliberately.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 6:30PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

So I took more pix in btwn but forgot to upload them. Here's what it's looking like these days, pix from last week.

a bit closer

Check out the great looking roots at base of largest pup.

Here's to you Norma, for egging me on so... ;>)

I'm watering frequently & misting every 3rd day of so, lest it dry out. It's still pretty hot here in NYC.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™