The Lesson: Check Twice before Throwing It Out

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)July 16, 2012

Hi All,

So I was rooting a Sans. leaf, for a longggggggtime & got curious, pulled the leaf out & it was a goner so I tossed it. I put the pot back w/out looking further & thought Oh Well.

A month or so later, I picked up the pot to plant something else in it & found this:

It seems there was still a rhizome in the pot & these are baby Sans. starting to pop up (that's all that was in that pot). I'll post further as they develop; fun accident.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Propaganda Garden Design

Did something similar with an outdoor plant that was dormant the other day. I don't know what I was thinking. I didn't even check since it lost its leaves the moment I planted it 3 months ago. Tricodesma scottii. It looked just like brown twigs sticking out of the ground so I yanked it out and started beating on the rootball to break up some of the soil before I tossed it and only then did I realize there were young dormant leaves and one of the stems was still green inside.

So dumb. I put it back in the ground but we'll see if it recovers from the indignity I put it through.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 7:29AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

That's so cool! I see 3 pups! You must be pretty excited about that. They sure are cute.

Don't know if you remember seeing one of my pots of Sans with a Dief in its' pot, but I literally yanked the Dief out of that pot a few weeks ago and although hardly any roots came with it, it's doing well in its' own little pot. AND I noticed more Dief sprouting in the Sans yesterday. Some plants really want to live.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 4:01PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yeah Clematis, the things we do to these plants, huh? Here's hoping yours recovers.

Hi Purple,

Yes, I did see your post about the the Dief w/ Sans. pot, they sure are determined. As I said in my other post about this (at Sans. forum, I think)

"These plants are so determined to live NO MATTER WHAT!!!"

Can't wait for these little things to get a big bigger, you're right, they're gonna be soooo cute! Don't I sound like a proud mother?

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:09PM
marguerite_gw

Just one of the serendipitous occurrences that make gardening so special. Congratulations, Karen.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 10:18AM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Plants are amazingly resilient. It is so hard to throw out even the smallest plant.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 3:02PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Yes, thanks Marguerite, they really are pretty amazing these plants.

I'm misting them every few days as it's been super hot in NYC lately, 100 degrees 2 days ago & I have no AC. I don't want them to get dried out, which I've had happen w/ some seedlings in these weather extreme.

I hope Norma sees this, she'd be delighted & I'm quick to say it was one of her suggestions, even if I didn't do it deliberately.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 6:30PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

So I took more pix in btwn but forgot to upload them. Here's what it's looking like these days, pix from last week.

a bit closer

Check out the great looking roots at base of largest pup.

Here's to you Norma, for egging me on so... ;>)

I'm watering frequently & misting every 3rd day of so, lest it dry out. It's still pretty hot here in NYC.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
Fenestraria aurantiaca
Back in September 2014 got a few seeds in. this was...
tanpexoctics
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
How long do Epiphyllum cuttings last for?
Hi everyone before I got bogged down with school I...
snowboardinggirl
Beginner: Growing Succulents in Semi-Hydro
Hi - new to the forum but have been enjoying reading...
lavendarlilies
What kind of Succulent is this?
I've been trying to figure this out for a while but...
yonatin
Sponsored Products
Michael Graves Round Mat by Alessi
$86.00 | Lumens
Thermostatic Shower System, Square Head & Ceiling Arm & Body Jets
Hudson Reed
New Super Fine Red Veg Dyed Kazak Geometric 3x10 HandKnotted Wool Area Rug H5889
BH Sun Inc
Hampton Bay Cushions Cibola Replacement Sectional Corner Chair Cushion and
Home Depot
Bookish Owl Art Print
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
TMD Table Lamp by Santa & Cole
$685.00 | Lumens
Darlee Santa Barbara Swivel Counter Height Bar Stool with Sesame Seat Cushion -
$360.99 | Hayneedle
Soleil Canopy Outdoor Daybed and Outdoor Ottoman, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™