We are so lucky to have our garden...

RPBarb(z9NCA)July 23, 2001

I just had to tell you a little bit about our garden. The school district gave us 2-1/2 acres to use and the city put in water lines, an 8-foot fence and a parking lot! We rent 15 X 15 foot gardens for $15.00 a year, water included. We are governed by a volunteer board of 7 members and are considered part of the city department of parks and recreation, who collect the money each year and keep track of gardens rented. The city also furnishes us with wood chips from the arborist to use on the 3-foot paths around each garden. There are lots of jobs to be done besides working our own plots, and as is usually the case, 80% of the work is done by 10% of the people, but we don't mind because it is such a priviledge and blessing to be able to have our gardens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kyrie01_home_com

What city or county are you in??? (I'm in s. Sonoma county).

It does sound good. :-)

Bookmark   July 24, 2001 at 2:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cottage_garden(Z10 CA)

I am actually interested in a similar setup and have considered contacting the local school board with reference to utilizing their land in this matter. How did you (your community garden) get setup this way? There is a local school which has had about an acre of land dedicated for gardening and for years they've let it sit with overgrown weeds. I'd be greatful for any information you are able to provide. Thanks.

Bookmark   September 3, 2001 at 2:07AM
More Discussions
How to Deter Theft in Community Garden
I am joining a CG this spring as I am now renting a...
terryincs
backyard eyesore
My neighbor's back yard is attached to mine. They are...
boothbay
Sensory Gardens for People with Dementia
I work in a home for people with Dementia. We are currently...
Michael Jessup
The Negatives of a Running a Community Garden
I am in charge of a fairly large community garden....
GardenBuffa
Plant markers for memorial garden
Our garden club has maintained a small memorial garden...
likesivy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™