Help! Clematis arrived but it's raining
My 2 clematis arrived yesterday from Silver Star Vinery--big fat ones, wonderful roots, but wrapped closely in only damp newspaper. My understanding from the Silver Star Vinery web page is that they are meant to be planted "immediately." But it has been raining for several days and the forecast has 50-60% chance of rain for the next week. I checked the soil -- some wet gooey clay mixed in there.
What to do? I'm sprinkling water on the newspaper wrapped plants for now, but keeping them wrapped up and out of the air for another week doesn't sound good.
I guess I could buy some larger sized containers and temporarily "store" them in potting mix or potting soil for a week. However, the only potting mixes/soils I see any more at the stores have a low level of fertilizer mixed in, and I'm not sure if that is good for the roots. But if I did that, would I add mix/soil up to the crown or a couple inches over the crown as is recommended when clems are planted in the ground?
Whatever I do, it will have to wait til after work today. Appreciate any input you can give by then.
P.S. For the curious, Rhapsody and Viola.