Didierea madagascariensis

houstonpat(9a)July 29, 2012

My Didierea is nearing the height limit of my greenhouse at about 8ft. It's still a single stem. Can it be cut, say half way down the stem(trunk)?? Would the top part root? Would the lower part make multiple sprouts??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Show us a picture, and yes, I think it would. I've rooted its cousins' cuttings with little problem - straight pumice and lots of heat. If you can put the potted cuttings on cement you should have them rooted in a month or so.

I've never seen one that tall, but you'd have the climate for it. Has it ever flowered for you?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:52PM
houstonpat(9a)

Here's a pic. I have not seen a flower. How close was the cousin you rooted?

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 3:54PM
cactusmcharris

Pat,

What a magnificent long, tall drink of Malagasy - that's one fine plant. It was Alluadias which I rooted cuttings of (specifically the easy one, A. procera) so I was kind of guessing that Didierias would be roughly the same. I had both this and D. trollii in my San Diego collection, but mine ever got near the size of yours. I've now realized I've never seen a Didieria in flower, but I'd guess yours has a few more feet to go. Wow, what a plant. Does it not completely lose its leaves in the winter?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 10:40AM
houstonpat(9a)

Some years it will shed its leaves if I let it dry out and get colder. Last year I kept it warmer with a bit of water and it stay in leaf. When I lived in Lemon Grove I grew a fairly large Alluadia. I couldn't move it to Florida so I donated it to the San Diego Wild Animal Park along with some other exotics. In San Diego I tried growing Ocotillo from cuttings without success. I'm not going to cut this one this year. Maybe it'll bloom next year. If so I'll post a photo.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
What is this? It says "Mammillaria species"
I know, "Mammillaria species" narrows it...
plantomaniac08
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
Need Help rooting GIGANTIC Jade cutting from 30 year old specimen
As stated, someone did a HUGE favor for me (no charge...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™