Kumquat graft question

ryvenMarch 9, 2012

Hi All!

I bought a kumquat last summer and by fall, all of the leaves fell off. I attributed this to too much water (as it was raining and I left the poor guy outside), so I brought it in. The leaves are starting to come back now, but so are other shoots! I know that kumquats are generally grafted with other citrus, but after searching through leaf images I can't find one that matches. The leaves that mine is growing looks similar to a fig leaf.

Is it possible that it was grafted with a fig? What are kumquats generally grafted with? If it something desirable, can I grow both sides of the tree?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ryven

Similar to a fig, the leaves aren't large, but similarly shaped.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 1:59PM
johnmerr(11)

Can you post a picture of the leaves close-up? Do the new leaves have a pronounced winged petiole? Could be Citrus Macrophylla

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 3:27PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Sounds like the rootstock is sending up shoots. If it has three leaves in a cluster, it's a trifoliate rootstock of some sort, possibly Fly Dragon. Post photos. In any event, if these shoots are coming from below the rootstock/scion graft, you'll need to cut them off so the rootstock does not overtake your variety scion, or you'll lose your tree.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 5:31PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

My guess is that John is right. Nurseries like to graft Kumquats with to something that will really push the tree large and fast.

Larry

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 8:14AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

All our kumquats here in my neck of the woods are grafted onto trifoliate of some sort. It kind of looks like a fig leaf with the 3 leaflets. See if this is what your rootstock sprouts look like. In any event, then need to be cut off to save the scion :-)

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus trifoliata photo

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 10:56AM
lgteacher(SCal)

Look at the trunk to see where the graft is. It should look like a bump or line a little above the root. Remove any shoots coming from below the graft. The rootstock is probably trifoliate orange. It is surely another citrus, not a fig.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 5:10PM
ryven

Thanks all! I decided to chop it off before checking the posts again. It was from below the graft (from what I can tell, no expert here) and it was taller then the rest of my branches! Now hopefully, I can convince the leaves to continue growing.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Sponsored Products
Satsuma Lime Bluewick Harper Mason Candle
$14.99 | zulily
"Holiday Delights" Cheesecake
$185.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™