Warning: might be a stupid question

njmomma(z6 NJ)April 27, 2010

I'm wondering if the clematis will grow over our thin wire fence and bloom on our neighbor's side instead of our side. I'm planting them on the south side of our property in full sun up against the old, ugly wire fence in order to block the appearance of the fence and the 3 foot tall tree stumps just over the fence on my neighbors side. (Which is now almost covered with invasive ivy).

Although I like my neighbor just fine, I'm planting them so I can enjoy them.

Can I train them to stay mostly on my side? Is this even an issue? Is this a stupid question?

Can I try to get rid of the invasive ivy without harming the clematis?

THANKS so much for any help,

Natanya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Not a stupid question. The answer depends. Some of mine have grown up and over and are blooming more on the neighbor's side which irks me to no end but the neighbor's side is sunnier. They are planted on the east side and grow to the west.

Ivy is really tough. I sprayed Round up over our fence at the ivy that was growing behind the neighbor's shed up against our fence for years. Don't think the neighbor even knew it was there. Round up is not active in soil, just foliage so if you don't spray the clematis it should be fine. If there is ivy growing where you want to plant you are going to have to dig it out first. It will choke the clematis.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 5:50PM
njmomma(z6 NJ)

thanks for the tip about the ivy. I can't stand it.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:42PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I'm not a fan either. It smothers great swaths of woodlands here. Choking everything in it's path. It is listed as a noxious weed but people still have it. Some of the miniatures are pretty in pots in the house but the rest of it is a menace. It is almost as bad as kudzu here. I mean as bad as kudzu is in the South.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™