help: 'living fence' ideas

matt79September 6, 2004

IÂm posting this in several forumsÂ

IÂm looking for some help. IÂve been asked to come up with several plans for our community gardenÂs "living fence". A fence has been constructed around the gardens, and now weÂre planting various vines and brambles to grow up/around the fence. Grapes are already being put in along some sections, so thatÂs a non-issue. ThereÂs a strong interest in raspberries and currants, and IÂm looking into hardy kiwis.

I already have a good idea of what to do with raspberries (i.e. planting, and control of canes inside and outside the fence). What IÂm looking for are:

1. ProÂs and ConÂs of planting currants and kiwis, and how much space to give them, and

2. Other ideas of edible, perennial vines/short bushes that we could plant.

Things to keep in mind:

-thereÂs hundreds of feet of fence, so we have room for several things

-this is zone 5a Madison, Wisconsin.

-maintenance must be easy, not much more than an annual pruning and a shot of fertilizer once or twice a year.

-the fence is only around 5 feet tall, with "rabbit fencing" on the bottom 2 feet, and just a couple of wires between posts on the top few feet.

Your help is much appreciated!

-Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
faltered(Hamburg NY Z5/6)

What about hyacinth bean vine?

Bookmark   September 7, 2004 at 10:43AM
trisha_51(5 Nebraska)

I planted two kinds of pole beans, purple and kentucky, by our chain link fence. Many people have said how much nicer it looks. The purple flowers and leaves are quite striking. I must say though that I'm not looking forward to cleaning it up after frost!

Bookmark   September 11, 2004 at 10:54PM
huisjen(z5 ME)

Espaliered fruit trees?

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 4:35PM
meb_lady(9)

There is a spinach vine you could grow, but not sure of the proper name. There is also an italian bean vine you could plant which is edible. You could plant passionflower vine. They have "Maypop" fruit on them after they flower that can be harvested and made into jelly but the vine is VERY INVASIVE, so you might want to plant it in a good ceramic pot. I had one planted in a whiskey barrel but it tore out of it and it's all over my neighbor's yards now. It is absolutely beautiful though and very fragrant. Hope this helps.

Mary Ellen

Bookmark   March 18, 2006 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Community garden idea. Need some experienced insight.
So here's some background, before I get to my questions....
TrpnBils
Community Garden magazine story
Hello, I am writing a story for Modern Farmer magazine...
JesseModFarmer
size of most plots in community gardens?
we are starting a community garden in baytown, tx....
bagins
Dawn Redwood
Hello... does anyone know if the famous "Dawn...
JulieB10
Are there any community gardeners in Britain?
I am trying to find out more about community gardening,...
Lucy - England
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™