identifying an indoor lemon.....

sunnysideuphill(5)March 7, 2011

Can you help with this family quest? My grandfather came to America from the Bay of Naples, town called Sarno in the hills above Salerno. According to his oldest daughter, my Aunt Rose, he brought a lemon seedling with him. By the time I was asking about it, in the early 1950's, the plant was a sturdy tree, in a huge pot in his bedroom. It was on a table that was window sill height, and the tree filled the whole window. Several times I remember it had lemons - pointed on the ends, and blocky ovals, but twice the size of supermarket lemons. The skin was a yellowish green. They were very fragrant, and juicy.

After my grandfather died in '62, Aunt Rose kept the tree going. After her death in '84, a clueless and insensitive relative by marriage tossed it.

I don't know if the lemon tree I remember in the pot was the one he brought with him (can they last that long?), or one that he grew from a cutting of the original. He and his buddies were always trading and sharing plants.

Does anyone know what lemon that might have been?

Or - does anyone have any suggestions about a lemon I could grow indoors in zone 5, giving it a summer break on the deck?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

not sure when he started it but there is no doubt that with good care a lemon can live a long time. Obviously at least the 34 years you knew about it. a member here has a seedling orange that is 38 years old!

as for the type someone may have a clue but I dont. With a proper place to overwinter them you can grow any citrus you want. Just ask Meyer Mike. He grows all types in zone 5 Massachusetts, pretty sure its Massachusetts. Please dont scold me if Im wrong Mike, LOL.

mike

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 2:48PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

There are a whole bunch of lemons called "Mediterranean lemons" or "Italian Lemons". I am not familiar with these, but you might want to google those phrases. FourWinds, a very reputed grower offers some of them. I have seen some locally called "Santa Teresa Lemon" trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Winds Italian Lemons

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:19PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

BTW/ I found the description of the Santa Teresa lemon too... Now you can google all of those lemon names and see which one looks like the fruit from your grandfather's tree. Link follows ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Teresa lemon description

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:22PM
sunnysideuphill(5)

Thank you for that link, AshleySF! I've bookmarked Four Winds.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Help with citrus scale
Hello all, my satsuma mandarin is dropping leaves....
Jeff
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™