Grow a Row for Hungry

yummykazSeptember 19, 2003

My son and I grew a bunch of produce over the summer and donated it to a local food bank. We were not real organized as it is just our little donation. But in a few weeks he has the chance to publicize this idea. During his Bar Mitzvah, he can talk about a Mitzvah or "good deed" he did. We make it a point to do good deeds without credit. But this is an opportunity to share an idea.

Does anyone know where I could get a poster and info? I am not looking for info on a specific food bank, but the Grow A Row idea. I am planning on putting this out during our reception with some pictures of my son in the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wendy_the_Pooh(z5/6 NY)

yummykaz,
Hopefully this site will be helpful to you...

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant a Row Grow a Row

Bookmark   October 7, 2003 at 4:38PM
josheug(z8 OR)

Hi Yummykaz,

Good for you! You should be very proud to share the idea at your sons Bar Mitzvah. The project "Plant A Row For The Hungry" was created, in part, by the garden writers association of america. If you go to www.gwaa.org , there is a lot of useful information on the project and they might even be able to send you plastic plant labels that you could pass out at the bar mitzvah. Good luck and...mazel tov!

Josh

Bookmark   October 15, 2003 at 7:16PM
yummykaz

Thanks everyone! My son's Bar Mitzvah was last weekend during our destival of Sukot which is a harvest festival. I laid out on a table pictures of him and his produce he grew, and the things Grow a Row sent to me. I also printed some handouts off their website. My son mentioned this project in his speech.

We had a blessed weekend!

Becki

Bookmark   October 15, 2003 at 10:07PM
mid_tn_mama(6)

What a wonderful thing to teach your son. Congratulations!

Bookmark   December 28, 2003 at 8:48PM
nifka(z6a buffalo ny)

yummykaz,

that is awesome! maybe you and your son could even organize a group at your synagogue to garden together for that purpose? congratulations to your son.

nifka

Bookmark   March 16, 2004 at 2:23PM
imasoilman

IÂve tried to locate a place for extra produce to be distributed since our local senior center changed its food service. The new service will not take donations of any fresh veggies

I then contacted the areaÂs Interfaith Council for suggestions as well as Senior Gleaners. The general response was that if it wasnÂt canned goods - forget it.

IÂd like to hear of your experience with actually being able to find an organization that would take garden produce.

Terran

Bookmark   May 20, 2004 at 2:25PM
PacNWest

We donate ours to a free restaurant, they love it. Our company provides land, water, seeds, and we donate the food grown. Usually people go out on their lunch hour and work in it once or twice a week.

Bookmark   June 28, 2005 at 11:53AM
More Discussions
Temporary fencing for my plot
I'm new to community gardening and I have rented 2...
happygardener23
The Negatives of a Running a Community Garden
I am in charge of a fairly large community garden....
GardenBuffa
No Community Garden? Sharing Backyards!
I wasn't sure where to post this information on the...
BluenoseDee
backyard eyesore
My neighbor's back yard is attached to mine. They are...
boothbay
Any community gardens in Cary NC area?
Hi, I just moved to Cary NC area. I would like rent...
aaaaaaaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™