mystery plant in Lewisville, NC (pic)

quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)June 24, 2008

I have seen these growing in impossible places like cracks between pavement in the city, along overpasses and in abandoned wastelands. What is it? I have seen one with a trunk about 5 inches thick, so it must be a tree of some sort. I recently saw one growing in the woods, but this one is in full sun. Any idea? http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/Bostoncrocus/?action=view&current=100_2588.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karen__w(z7 Durham, NC)

That's a Paulownia tomentosa, aka Princess or Empress tree. Native to China but naturalized through NC and considered to be invasive and weedy. I've heard the wood is valued for furniture, musical instruments, etc, and they can look pretty amazing when coppiced to promote growth of those huge leaves, but I take them out if they grow in my garden because they outcompete just about everything.

Bookmark   June 24, 2008 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

They were the original wood used for disposable chopsticks. 20 years ago or so there was a shortage in Asia and people were actully sneaking into Botanical gardens and parks along the east coast to steal them and ship them back for big bucks. Plastics came to the "rescue" chopstick wise and now no one notices the invasion. As bad as Kudzu.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™