Gorilla Gardening: Louisville
I am very interested in finding others in Louisville who would like to begin working on beautifying our neighborhoods within Louisville proper. Some of my goals include:
1) Removing as many exotic weed trees as possible, mulberry and tree of heaven (ailanthus) mainly.
2) Planting out a large number of sturdy native trees (oaks, for example), especially along streets whose trees have passed on.
3) Planting out self-sustaining flower/bulb beds in areas with frequent pedestrian traffic.
4) Utilizing city-owned vacant lots that are doing nothing but attracting illegal dumping--turning them into low-maintenance vegetable growing space.
5) Developing frequently-used bus stops so that there are seating areas for our elderly neighbors, as well as shade from trees or tall grasses.
This can be done, and I hope you'd like to take part!