Accessible Beds for Disabled Gardeners

Ray Schutte - WAOctober 4, 2000

The Interbay P-Patch, a community garden, here in Seattle, we a developing a plan to build accessible beds in the garden for disabled gardeners in wheel chairs, with arthritis and bad backs. If you have such a program or design we would appreciate your sharing your experience of what worked and did not work with us. Pictures would be great. Thanks, Ray Schutte, Co-Site Coordinator Interbay P-Patch

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tom Cagle - 5

Beds raised 19", no wider than 48" with 48" wide roll through paths with a grade of no more more than 1" in 12" side-to-side or front-to-back, for rolling folks.

Beds raised 30" for walker users and very gentle slopes (1" in 12") The side wall will need to be a bit more rugged in this use as not only will it be a much taller raised bed, but walker (hemi or platform) users will tend to also use the structure to pull them selves along with. Again probably a no wider bed than 48" and 48" paths.

Before folks over look them, Braille and raised character signage, and afordable ways to make them is also probably something you want to have.

Bookmark   October 19, 2000 at 7:48AM
Tom Cagle - 5

*If* the paths are VERY level sod may work. If not some solid surface is in order. Gravel, sand, bark chips, never ever, ever works. Never.

Bookmark   October 19, 2000 at 7:52AM
Marshall - 10 CA/24 Sunset

Tom, can you post more info on accessable beds and facilities for disabled gardeners? I manage the grounds of an extended care facility for the elderly and older disabled folks. The site is small but well planted in color and scented plants, raised beds and containers and an edible landscaping bias.

Seedman

Bookmark   November 13, 2000 at 1:54AM
More Discussions
The Negatives of a Running a Community Garden
I am in charge of a fairly large community garden....
GardenBuffa
Brand New Community Garden and Urban Farm
Hey there! We are in the middle of starting a community...
ghouliegrrrl
Is a garden near roads/toxic areas better than no garden at all?
I've been thinking about this today as I watch TED...
mmiesse
Any community gardens in Cary NC area?
Hi, I just moved to Cary NC area. I would like rent...
aaaaaaaa
Plant markers for memorial garden
Our garden club has maintained a small memorial garden...
likesivy
Sponsored Products
Chinoiserie Long Pillow by DwellStudio
$44.99 | Lumens
Grand Luxe 'Hike Up Your Skirt' Ruffled Faux Silk Adjustable 17-inch Drop Queen-
Overstock.com
Rio Pillow Sham
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Elite Sleep Convertible Sofa in Oak
Dot & Bo
Garage Storage Systems & Accessories: NewAge Products Garage Cabinets
Home Depot
Layton California King Bed - BROWN
$2,299.00 | Horchow
Radiator Key
Signature Hardware
Bermuda Brushed White Finish Twin-size DayBed