peyote

wiley1983(6b)July 9, 2013

sorry i meant diffusa, not peyote
but peyote is still legal in canada, unlike u.s and mexico
Williamsii is a year old now.

This post was edited by wiley1983 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 18:55

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

In the "dirt"? What does that mean? In-ground outside?
I would use a well-draining, porous mix. They may be like other cacti whose juvenile seedlings need to be kept more moist than the mature specimens.

Josh

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:32AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Wiley, first off, a cautionary word about using "Peyote" as a general term for all members of the Lophophora genus. Peyote specifically makes reference to Lophophora williamsii. Next, as a very wise gentleman on this forum from BC advised me, be careful what you say on public places as Big Brother is out there and is watching and listening! And lastly, Steven doesn't have listed on his current seed list the afore mentioned seed; he has several of the other species of this genus.

The seedlings in the picture were sown 6/2012. They are NOT L. williamsii but all of the other species offered by Mesa Gardens. As you can see the mix is very gritty. I water when the mix dries on the surface but not a soaking. I have the in moderate light and keep them very warm.

This post was edited by bikerdoc5968 on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 8:00

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:57AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I really like that container set-up!

Josh

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:24AM
wiley1983(6b)

sorry about the peyote thing.......... guess i was over-excited!!! it is diffusa, but i have williamsii also, they are still only 9 months ola.
bikerdoc, i love your setup, your babies are looking great!!!!!! Do you have any more tips for growing lophophora?? Do you put a little limestone in your soil mix??

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:02PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Yes to lime. I use crushed sea shells.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:29PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Also, williamsii is not illegal in the US though many folks are misinformed in that regard. As I understand it, it is illegal to use williamsii -- unless you are of certain Native American tribes -- and illegal to harvest front the wild. Still, even with that said, probably unwise to let it become common knowledge if you do have one. Too many idiots out there who would likely break into one's greenhouse with theft in mind.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:26PM
wiley1983(6b)

as far as im concerned, it is a beautiful plant with beautiful blooms that adds greatly to a cacti collection. I didn't know it isn't illegal, i thought it was, i guess you learn something new every day! I think everyone who loves cacti should have a few, they're great!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 8:32PM
penfold2(4b, MN)

Peyote is a Schedule I drug in the US, which makes it illegal to possess. I know there are some that grow it, but people should be aware of the potential consequences if they choose to do so.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 10:31AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

We've grown poppies, datura, and san pedro, but never processed the plants.

Josh

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:58AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Chris is correct with the following guide lines per the DoJ/DEA:

"Except as specifically authorized, it is illegal for any person:
to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense, a controlled substance; or
to create, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to distribute or dispense, a counterfeit substance.[2]"

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 1:24PM
CactusN00b(9)

By all means . take this comment with a grain of salt .. I'm certainly no law expert ..

but I think the key phrase there is "posses with INTENT to manufacture, distribute, or dispense" . Growing a plant for the sake of growing it doesn't really fit "intent"...

Having said that .. i would choose not to grow them just to avoid any potential headaches when an an ignorant neighbor had the DEA showing up at your house to check it ( and every other inch of your place ) out.

Sometimes being in the right just isn't good enough...

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 3:52PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Cactus, no grain of salt necessary. You are exactly correct and it is a shame good honest people can't enjoy their hobby without some unhappy individual showing major disrespect. Don't mess with the DOJ/DEA... I have had to deal with them for the past 40 years and my drug license.... what a pain in my @$$!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 3:59PM
penfold2(4b, MN)

Peyote is in the same category as Cannabis; both are Schedule I drugs. If the argument "I'm only growing it as an ornamental" actually worked, there would be a lot more people growing "ornamental" pot. No one should make the mistake of thinking they are in the clear simply because they have no intent to consume or sell it.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Is it ok to plant this in the ground?
It's opuntia englmanii in the clay based houston soil....
spikef35
Any experience with black spots in jade when pruning?
Anyone seen this? Fresh cut... Some said on another...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
How long do Epiphyllum cuttings last for?
Hi everyone before I got bogged down with school I...
snowboardinggirl
Agave Montana Help
I'm wondering if it's time to move my Agave Montana...
irisherin13
leaf/plant id
Does anyone know what this is? Picked it up of the...
amynoacids
Sponsored Products
Peyote Organic Cotton Sheet Set
$59.99 | zulily
$59.99 | zulily
$59.99 | zulily
$59.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™