CG Land Acquisition Methods

Soleil Tranquilli - 8/9November 28, 2000

Hi All,

We are working to get a CG together in Elk Grove, Northern California. Land here is most expensive, around $100,000 per acre due to runaway growth. I have a target property list, compiled from hours spent in the Tax Assessor's Office of owner names and addresses.

Is there anyone who has sample letters to landowners asking for use of their land? Or, failing that, how did you all approach owners?? Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

I find that contacting the real estate agents has been an exercise in futility & disappointment, one even laughing in my face & making a joke about how much land cost and how lowly an idea it was to build community garden on his piece of property. Hrumph, I guess I lost my cool with that guy, but I still am looking for some prototype approach I could tweak to our situtation. Thanks in advance... --Soleil

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marshall - 10 CA/24 Sunset

Your best be would be through local governmental agencies (park, highway,etc.)or churches or corporate entities having land set aside for other future uses. They may offer the use for a limited time however. Public land is always best because of the tradition of The Commons. Municipalities often have odd pieces of land that could be dedicated to Community Gardens, especially if a CG won't cost them much.

Marshall

Bookmark   December 3, 2000 at 6:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Becky - 4

Here in Portage, WI we brainstormed "public" places around the city that we thought might be good spots, then went to them with our idea. For a variety of reasons, none of these spots worked out, and out of desparation, we finally put an article in the paper (as a news release, not an ad) about what our group was trying to do and what we needed in terms of land. We actually had several calls from that article and went with the one that best suited our plan. It turned out to be a place we never would have dreamed of...someone's front yard!! Albeit, a very long front yard--and their teenage son appreciated no longer having to mow so much lawn! Good luck to you.

Bookmark   February 9, 2001 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Is a garden near roads/toxic areas better than no garden at all?
I've been thinking about this today as I watch TED...
mmiesse
backyard eyesore
My neighbor's back yard is attached to mine. They are...
boothbay
Help Olin College students understand community gardens!
Hi everyone, We're a group of students at Olin College...
OlinForGardeners
Brand New Community Garden and Urban Farm
Hey there! We are in the middle of starting a community...
ghouliegrrrl
The Negatives of a Running a Community Garden
I am in charge of a fairly large community garden....
GardenBuffa
Sponsored Products
Radiance Lazy Daisy Lamp - Really Red Lily Style Glass with Brown Hardware
$538.20 | Bellacor
Bayside Beige and Red Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 7 In. Rug
$150.00 | Bellacor
Gorgeous Hand-Knotted Carved Patchwork Rug H1851
BH Sun Inc
Bocci | 28.3 Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Floornishings Rugs Kazak Red 6 ft. 5 in.
Home Depot
AHB Mia Square Block Back Counter Height Dining Chairs - Set of 2 - 700205BLK/SD
$239.90 | Hayneedle
Goa Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$873.00 | Lumens
Honeycomb Folding Chair by Kartell
$380.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™