Echinacea Gone Green!

puppyscruff(7/NC)June 2, 2009

Hi everyone. It's been ages since I've been here, but I need help and know y'all are the ones with the answers. I'm always singing your praises.

Bought a double echinacea, 2 in fact, on sale at Lowes last year. Both came back, but one came back green. It is covered with buds and blossoms, and every last one is exactly the same color as the leaves. Kinda cool, as one of my younger co-workers said, but I'm wondering why. This is the same plant, not a seedling of the original.

claire in sanford

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aezarien(7b)

Sorry to give you bad news but it is most likely aster yellows or phytoplasma disease. It is fairly common and is spread by leaf hoppers.

There are a variety of symptoms but some just simply turn green and look like a healthy mutation. There is no cure and it can spread to other types of flowers including dandelions which contribute to the spread.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Information on Aster Yellows

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 9:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
puppyscruff(7/NC)

Wow, I'm about to shovel it out of my garden in a moment. Thanks for the info. I've never heard of it. Got to look into those leafhoppers...not overly familiar with them.

The plant is unbelievably healthy, with tons of flowers, but the flowers are not formed correctly as the piece indicates. I will also look for the veining mutation and take a picture.

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™