Will lemons grown from store bought fruit grow?

ladyrenee30March 28, 2014

I have two lemon trees that I grew from seeds I removed from lemons bought at the grocery store. I do not know what king of lemon trees they are and do not know if they will bloom or not. The first lemon is about two years old and the other is about four years old. I know it will take a while for them to bloom, but I want to know if they will bloom coming from store bought lemons. Any input would be very helpful. (Note: Both are in pots if this helps find out if they will bloom)
-Haley

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Sure they will, eventually. Most lemons are polyembryonic, which means they produce more than one seedling from a seed. The first and strongest seedling will be the clone (same as the mother plant). It can take anywhere from about 3 to 12 years for seedlings to flower and produce fruit. I have a seedling pummelo (pummelos are monoembryonic, so it's a hybrid, and my "experiment") that is about 4 years old now, lush and zero blossoms so far. Lemons and limes are a little more precocious. So, some patience and good care should provide you with lemons down the road.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 3:23PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

There is a very well known large lemon tree in the 6th ward in Houston. I grew one from seed but it froze after eight yrs.

I also know a lady from near downtown Houston that has a fine Lisbon lemon she grew from grocery market seed. That was before Lisbons were released through the bud wood program. So it was quite a prize.

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 10:50PM
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)

Very Nice trees they're very healthy and very pretty I hope Seedlings I started last year last that long.they will bloom and make Fruit you just have to be very patient.

Trace

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:02AM
ladyrenee30

Thanks to all the responses, I must be that impatient person who just wants their pride and joy to show some fruit :) Thank you Trace for the compliments. I was lucky to get such pretty trees.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
The whole Citrus Gang on the back deck....
Brought all the Citrus outside today for a good Neeming...! I...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Meyer Lemon Plant
I bought a Meyer Lemon plant from Lowes. It was green...
scarlett2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™