Pests on Blackberries

AmyColeJune 11, 2013

This is my first year having any sort of garden so I am at a loss for when I see random pests and how I can control them. I have noticed these bugs on my blackberry canes and on the fruit itself. I have attached a picture and assumed they were spider mites, however they are not red and majority of what I have been able to find online have been talking about red spider mites. I would like to know what these are and how to treat my blackberries as organically as possible. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

The first organic option is always to spray them off with the hose.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:59AM
trianglejohn

It looks like a stink bug to me. It could be the newly introduced Brown Marmorated Stink Bug which will eat fruit (native stink bugs usually eat pests like spider mites). Its hard to tell in that photo.

Pests with hard outer shells can be hard to persuade to live elsewhere. If spraying with the garden hose doesn't work you could try just spritzing him with mild dish detergent (the strength you would use to wash dishes). If all else fails and you don't want to squish him with your hands you could buy a bottle of the new "Organic" bug sprays available at any garden center.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:36PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

If he'll stay put you could try sprinkling him with food grade diatomaceous earth. It is supposedly effective on shelled insects (exoskeleton like beetles)
It's not an immediate kill but if the bugs/beetles are slow moving you could try it.
But, identify it first.
To me it looks like a beetle larva from the ladybeetle family (not necessarily the common ladybug or Asian ladybeetle)

If it's only a couple you are noticing don't worry about it.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 7:29PM
ferroplasm Zone 7b

That looks like a stink bug instar; not an adult. White markings on the antenna are the most reliable way to ID as the brown marmorated stink bug. I'd squash it.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:54AM
More Discussions
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™