How to start?

erica(9)December 12, 2001

I am moving up to Sullivan County New York from Manhattan, and I'd like very much to organize a community garden in my new community, in the spring. I've never done it before, and I'm not a master gardener.

My sense is that gardening is not a main event there, to some degree because there are ridiculous numbers of deer. But I'd like to initiate the project, and I wonder if anyone has advice for how to jump start things....if I am initiating this project, will it be a fulltime job?

I'd like to do full crops altogether instead of breaking the garden up into personal plots. Is there any obvious reason not to do this?

Woah.

Essentially, does anyone have any starter advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldherb(z8 Oregon)

There is a national organization for community gardens, I do not remember the exact name of it but it may be on the list of non-profit organizations listed here at Garden Web. They would be the best place to start.

You can also check with the local Master Gardener extension office for resources, they can be quite helpful.

"Plant A Row For The Hungry" is another organization that has roots in community gardening.

I hope this helps you some.

Bookmark   December 31, 2001 at 10:21PM
esands_axion_net

Hi Erica - I am a community gardener in Vancouver, BC. Good luck with your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vancouver Community Garden Report

Bookmark   January 5, 2002 at 12:52PM
websterwords

Hi . I think that you will find that many people garden for food seriously in Sullivan County. They fence out deer, spray predator urine around, hang hair balls around...
There are farmstands. You will not find it difficult to get manure and hay. Perhaps you could find people who cannot do all the work that it requires, but can pitch in. Also there are some serious garden clubs there and in Ulster County.

Bookmark   January 22, 2002 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Non-profit in need of seeds!
Hello, My name is Christine and I am posting on behalf...
Chrissi77
Is a garden near roads/toxic areas better than no garden at all?
I've been thinking about this today as I watch TED...
mmiesse
I need some help planning a community garden
Hi, I am not a gardener. I am a landlord who recently...
JeffOwens
Dawn Redwood
Hello... does anyone know if the famous "Dawn...
JulieB10
Plant markers for memorial garden
Our garden club has maintained a small memorial garden...
likesivy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™