Clematis 101

gwlolo(9b/ Sunset 15)April 16, 2013

Is there a good online resource that describes all the different Clematis types, how to prune with listing of cultivars in each type? Or maybe a book? I am finding it challenging to identify suitable varieties and answer questions like - Prune hard variety that is purplish red big flowers that blooms in late summer and will work in my zone and can work on a arbor with a rose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

In a word, no :-) Well, maybe Mary Toomey's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Clematis could. But it's big and expensive and cumbersome (but a really great refererence!)

You might want to try approaching this from a more specific direction. You can search by pruning groups - hard prune is pruning group 3 (or C). And to simplify things, clematis that should be hard pruned DO tend to be late summer bloomers, as they bloom on current year's growth. And any clematis will work in your zone - you are not exactly limited to variety.

One of the most helpful online clematis resources is Clematis on the Web. It has a very user-friendly searchable data base but not exactly aligned the way you like - the closest you can come is the 'clematis text search'

fwiw, the clem that best fits your question is 'Madame Julia Correvon'.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 7:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

If you use the Clematis on the Web search form as gardengal suggested, you can generate lists of plants that will fit your needs, though you won't be able to find all the plants in commercial production. Put in the requirements you want in the appropriate line, and just leave the others blank. It will give you a list that you can click to see photos and more information about the individual plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search form

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 8:43AM
More Discussions
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
What size container would you recommend?
I have several clematis growing in the ground. However,...
gardenbug
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Sponsored Products
Clematis Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Indian Wells Wreath
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
16" Clematis Double-Wall Copper Vessel Sink - Medium Antique
Signature Hardware
Clematis Coco Entry Mat
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™