Hydrangeas, impatiens and...

Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)January 31, 2004

After years and years of planting impatiens only in my northern exposure foundation garden, I'm getting a little braver. I've ordered six "forever pink" hydrangea, with which I want to plant white impatiens. I saw a beautiful astilbe (called astilbe fanal) that has a red plume, but I don't know if it would look good in combination with the hydrangeas. If I were to combine all three, what would you suggest as to the arrangement of them? My beds are 18 feet long and 3 feet deep. (If other companions come to mind, please share!) Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I'm not familar with that hydrangea but it sounds wonderful. And I think the red 'Fanal' Astilbe would be pretty in between them with the white Impatiens in front.

I think Campanula persicifolia (peach-leafed) may do well in your zone and fit in?

Bookmark   February 1, 2004 at 2:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

All my hydrangeas are "Forever Pink"--very nice dwarf shrubs. Of course, something should be said for diversity but heck, they were a deal :-)

I think a pleasant arrangement would be to place the six hydrangeas along the length of your beds and kind of toward the back, plant the astlibe forward of the hydrangeas and place them so they are staggered (the astlibe would be forward of the space between the hydrangeas), then fill in the front gaps with white impatiens. That would create a very symmetrical, formal bed.

Personally I grow calla lilies with my hydranges but astlibe will probably be a very nice contrast. One thought, what will the winter interest be?

Bookmark   February 11, 2004 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
emerogork2
Gardenias and tomatoes
I have a lovely gardenia tree that has a woven trunk...
ribsu
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
Sponsored Products
Watercolor Bloom Pillow Sham
Grandin Road
Blue & White Hydrangea Faux-Floral Arrangement - BLUE/WHITE
$435.00 | Horchow
Raspberry hydrangeas magnolia wreath
Origin Crafts
Mini Bliss Floral Arrangement
$339.00 | FRONTGATE
Campania International Hydrangea Leaves Planting Bowl - W-104-AL
$514.99 | Hayneedle