asparagus and ???

Linda101(6b AR)February 24, 2002

I have an asparagus bed approx. 10 x 10 but the plants are sparse and far apart. Weeds take over during the summer and I'd like to eliminate this problem. Has anyone planted strawberries in with them and would there be any problems that you know of? Need a dense planting of something! How close together can you safely plant asparagus? Maybe I just just put in lots more asparagus? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taba(z5b MO)

I just planted a new Jersey King asparagus bed and the instructions said to plant 18" apart, with 4' between rows. Not sure about strawberries or other plants that would compete well with weeds. I plan to add parsley and maybe an annual flower, then mulch.

Bookmark   March 21, 2002 at 4:05PM
Sundrop(Zone 6 Indiana)

Once the asparagus ferns out in the summer, I would think it would shade strawberries too much. I have a large asparagus bed that at first was taken over by weeds. The best thing you can do is put down about 4 sheets each of newspaper overlapping by about 2 inches. Then put down some kind of mulch over that to cover the unsightliness of it. It could be straw or anything that will hold down the newspaper. I personally use grass clippings. You wouldn't want to put them real thick though. At least not until they dry out a little. In the past I have taken it up in the fall but after talking to Roger Swain of the Victory Garden I have decided to leave it this year. The weeds are non existant with the newspaper thing and my asparagus grows like mad. I would think it would be too hard to harvest anything planted in with the asparagus as it is very tall and "leafy".

Bookmark   March 25, 2002 at 2:04PM
crdahlia(z8bWA)

Do you put the newspaper mulch down in the spring? How does the asparagus get through it? Or are you just putting it inbetween the rows? Will it come through straw or leaves or compost okay? I've just gotten one of three rows weeded and want to put some kind of mulch so I don't have to do it again this season.

Teresa

Bookmark   March 12, 2004 at 7:07AM
gardenwitch(7 Va)

I have recently been told of the value of parsley planted with Asparagus to repel the asparagus beetle. Definitely will try this this year since this past year I had a real invasion of this pest.

Bookmark   March 20, 2004 at 8:04PM
organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)

Asparagus - GOOD Basil , Carrots, Parsley, Tomato

BAD Chive, Garlic, Leek, Onion

Bookmark   March 23, 2004 at 12:51PM
stevez06(z6 W-KY)

From what I've read asparagus should be planted so that the rows are 4' apart (is this correct?). Are the companions mentioned above planted in this large space and act as living mulch? Or, should this space just be heavily mulched with straw or similar material?

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 1:57PM
More Discussions
myrtle pot
Hello Everyone I've been quite a while trying to grow...
TalSlavisnki
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
What do you suggest under a flaming red Japanese Maple?
I can't figure what what plants would be great companions...
meyermike_1micha
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™