Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart (Dicentra Spectabilis)

gee_oh_nyc(6b/7a)February 15, 2007

I have a beautiful Old fashioned Bleeding Heart that fills in shady corner of my patio garden for the first few months of the spring. When the summer heat comes the plant dies back and leaves a bare patch.

I am thinking of putting Coleus around it so that it might fill in as the Dicentra goes dormant. Has anyone had luck with other companion plants for this beauty?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ssfkat3(7/8 virginia)

my mom had some of these in the deep shade garden in michigan she grew hostas with it, was beautiful. I would never of said anything would of grown in that area, it was so shady. the bleeding heart was going dormant when the trees were getting good and leafed out, which is how it managed to get any sun at all.

sally

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 7:01PM
klickitat(zone 7b GA)

Great question! I am about to sow some Bleeding Heart seeds myself and found that Hostas, Astilbes, ferns, begonias, columbines, epimediums, fuchsias, hellebores, primroses all go well with it.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 9:15PM
lmarks(z6 NY)

There are a lot of plants that just look nice with bleeding hearts, but you're talking about something to specifically take the place of the plant, right? I'd love something like that too - ideally a perennial that's just coming up as the bleeding heart is dying down. Of course the other option is just to put in shade tolerant annuals like the coleus you're considering.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 11:58AM
lindajh

I'm planting fall blooming Japanese anemone near my bleeding heart. I've read it is a good companion that fills in as the bleeding heart is going dormant. Also have planted Bunnera Jack Frost in front of my bleeding heart and they look great together!

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
companion plant unfinished visual pic
i am a visual learner and so i created a visual companion...
QuinnaBrennan
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
myrtle pot
Hello Everyone I've been quite a while trying to grow...
TalSlavisnki
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™