Allergic to red ants

lindanc(8a)June 13, 2010

Any one else have that problem? I pretty much stopped gardening because of it. I bought high boots and thick gloves in case I need to pull more weeds. It's so discouraging! I live in Greenville, nc where their are a zillion docs, anyone know a really good allergist? My husband has treated ant hills but they keep coming back. Thanks for any suggestions. Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045(7b)

Sorry about allergy. Just a thought about the ants. I suppose other red ants are a problem too, but I gather you are particularly thinking about fire ants. If you or your husband were not already aware, the effective way to remove fire ants (or probably other specific noxious ants)is to poison the ants with the slow acting type that gets carried to the whole colony including the queen. This completely removes the colony after a few weeks.

But one should not indiscriminately poison all ants. Other ants are teritorial and will fight to keep fire ants away. They are your friends!

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 9:13PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Linda, you might just want to take preventative doses of Benadryl or the generic form before you go out in the garden. I'm very allergic to stinging insects also,not just ants and we all know how ant stings last a long time. The itch goes away for a day or so and returns.

Even the tiny ants can sting and you might not feel it but the acid they inject causes the later reaction. Where ever they feel pressed by clothes or in joint areas (notoriously under the arms) they will sting.
Might not be just fire ants bothering you, the little ones are just as much a stinger.
I've never found a repellant that works for ants. I've always wondered if an application(like an inch strip all the way around) of Tree Tanglefoot to my garden boots would snag the crawlies before they got to skin. Might be worth a try also.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:16AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

talcum powder is supposed to stop fire ants from being able to climb boots, shovels, etc. Not sure if it would work for other ant species, but i don't see why not.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Neem plant?
Hi, Where can I buy neem plant in Raleigh NC? Or can...
aaaaaaaa
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™