nasturtiums with squash/pumpkins

eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)February 11, 2009

I plan to grow nasturtiums along with my squash/pumpkins this year. I have read that nasturtiums are valuable for deterring squash bugs (which I've had a problem with in the past). Anyway, from what I understand, nasturtiums prefer to be left alone, while the squash is a heavy feeder, and as they grow fruit they require large amounts of water.

If anyone has done this companion planting, are there any tips for a successful pairing. My primary goal of the nasturtiums is the squash bug connection, but my wife would appreciate a little more flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloect(z5 CT)

I grew Nasturtiums for the same purpose last year, and I found it to be moderately successful. The only squash bed that I didn't plant with Nasturtiums seemed to get by far the most squash bugs. That said, be selective about which cultivar you plant! Stick to smaller, well-behaved nasturtiums. Mine were so huge by August that they started to take over my melons and squash, and I had to keep cutting them back. Mine flowered nicely, not super heavily, but they were beautiful all the same. Actually, I think my squash could have done with a little more nutrients, but ,boy, were my nasturtiums happy!

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 9:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

Thanks...I think my wife would prefer more flowers and less squash! Personally, if I can get 12 (total) butternut out of my 4 plants, and 6-12 pumpkins from my 6 plants, I will be very happy with that.

If the nasturtiums hide the squash vines from view on my trellis, my wife would prefer that.

I got the vining variety, so I may need to prune them from time to time, but in expanding my vegetable garden this year, I dramatically reduced my wife's flower garden. The compromise was that I had to try to keep the vegetable garden as attractive as possible. So, the nasturtiums will hopefully serve the double purpose.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
Vegetable Companion Chart
There are still requests for my chart. That can only...
organicdan
Liatris, Grape Hyancith and Nodding Onion
I saw a "bargain bag" of Liatris at Lowes. I'm...
edlincoln
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
MeaWea
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™