tomatoes and snow peas

petunialoverFebruary 9, 2009

I plan to create a new garden along the fence that separates our yard from our neighbor's. I thought if I sowed the peas in the ground when the snow melts they would have time to grow and set fruit before the tomatoes which I'll plant in front. I figure when the heat gets bad in late summer the peas will be shaded and cooled by the tall tomatoes and I'll have peas all summer. I know peas need lots of N and the tomatoes need the P&K, I use lots of bunny poo, and I'll have goat bedding to for mulch and more fertilizer. Will this work? I want to convert all my flower beds to veggie gardens at least where the areas get full sun.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eaglesgarden(6b - se PA)

I've never put peas with tomatoes. I've never seen them listed as companions before either.

I know peas are good with corn and beans. Interesting idea. I would like to know how it does for you. Post some results!

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 4:58PM
pnbrown

I am planning to put the tomatoes right in front of the peas this year also, and in fact trellis them on the same pea supports (brush). I'll hold the tomato starts out as long as possible, hopefully til second week in june. Here the peas are mostly done by july 1st. The rotting pea-roots should release some food for the toms at the right time.

I don't think your plan of extending the pea-season with tomato-shade will work. It'll be too much shade plus the tomato roots will be sucking what life is left out of the pea-plants.

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 7:37AM
jordan_californicus

I don't think your plan of extending the pea-season with tomato-shade will work. It'll be too much shade plus the tomato roots will be sucking what life is left out of the pea-plants.

Second.

However, at least here in S. Oregon, the you can seed snow-peas in late fall / early winter, they can take the worst of what mother nature throws at them, especially if they're protected to one side by a fence. Then around late March / early April, while we still have a few weeks before the last frost date, people usually till the pea plants into the ground, which both adds organic matter in and also by killing the plants, releases the nitrogen that have been fixed onto their root nodes for the past 3 months, putting food in for Tomatoes, Peppers, Corn or anything else you want to plant there.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?
Is it a good idea to use strawberries as a groundcover...
lawanddisorder
companion plant unfinished visual pic
i am a visual learner and so i created a visual companion...
QuinnaBrennan
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™