Cooking with Yuzu

steveinsc(8)March 6, 2009

I am growing Yuzu here and need some help. The Yuzu is supposed to be very valued in oriental cooking. One of the recipes I found was for scallops (or shrimp) cooked in the Yuzu shell with miso and mirin. I got the miso in Columbia and tried this recipe twice. I followed the instructions carefully. The result was a very salty sauce in which the scallops were cooked. "Very" might be too tame a word for how salty the result was. I was wondering if anyone out there has cooked seafood with Yuzu and can give me some guidance. (Cooking Yuzu cakes produces a very good, citrus flavored cake and the dried rind is great for winter tea.)

Thanks--

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lali(z9, Sunset z18, CA)

Hi,

I'm not that familiar with cooking with yuzu, but wouldn't you just be able to use it in place of lemons and/or limes for cooking, marinades and other applications? Depending on the acidity and taste of the yuzu fruit, I would use it according taste. As for your recipe, you can try putting the miso in sparingly because it is quite salty in large quantities.

I found a few recipes on foodnetwork.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=yuzu&fnSearchType=site

HTH
Lali

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ashita(10a)

Could you tell me the recipe? I am very familiar with cooking with miso,and might be able to help. and I have a yuzu tree too,

Ashita

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 6:38AM
More Discussions
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Advice on pruning lemon
Hello all. I have a lemon tree (pictured) that was,...
mattlody
Strange happenings with lemon tree
Hi, This is my first post, upon finding your site. I...
alamedadad
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™