companion shrubs with roses

barb100March 6, 2007

My border is 27 feet long and 7 1/2 feet wide. A path runs down its length and a raised patio and my house borders its back. I have planted six David Austin shrub roses, spaced out, and am looking for shrubs which will look good with them. At the moment we have a variety of herbaceous perennials, but my problem is a family of wild rabbits, who I have no intention of killing, and who love to eat any new shoots coming through. They have been doing this for years, and I am finally fed up! Any suggestions for good rabbit-proof shrubs which will look good with the established roses? The roses are Lichfield Angel (apricot/white), Graham Thomas (yellow), Pat Austin (copper), England's Rose (pale pink)and Brother Cadfael (pink)and as a climber, Abraham Darby (apricot). Many thanks for any help you can give. I live in southern England, and my climate is temperate.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)

Lavenders.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 12:02PM
5400jana

I would like to see Lichfield Angel photo, it is hard to find anything other than the official photograpy, and some experience with growing this cultivar or comparison with similar cultivars.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 4:02AM
dyhgarden(7b)

yep, lavender or nepeta. I have lavender with mine, but I have nepeta everywhere to defend my garden from bunnies and deer.

Cameron (I have a photo of my roses and lavender on my lavender blog in July --link from My Page).

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
myrtle pot
Hello Everyone I've been quite a while trying to grow...
TalSlavisnki
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™