very newbie question

trant(z6 NY)March 3, 2004

I am a rather unexperienced gardener and totally ignorant about companion planting, so this question may sound pretty stupid but please bare with me...

I see alot of advice on planting companions right next to your veggies, like basil next to tomatoes, for example. but then there's so much emphasis on weeding your garden ebcause weed will compete with your veggies and steal nutrients... So my question is, why are companion plants ok right enxt to your veggies? Won't they too compete with nutrients?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
giboosi_alttara(z6 CT)

Yes, but...no. It depends. There are particular reasons to combine particular plants, and an herb such as basil growing next to a fruiter like tomatoes doesn't use the same minerals in great quantities.

That's one reason to interplant, but there are others, such as planting something as a pest repellant or trap. Naturtiums, for example, are loved by aphids, so the aphids will go to nasturtiums planted near other plants, and protect them. If all goes well, ladybug larvae will come in to feast on the hordes of aphids. Quite a sight to see!

There's a great book called "Carrots Love Tomatoes" that goes into this in great detail, specifically naming which plants to plant with which others, and why.

Bookmark   March 4, 2004 at 11:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

More reasons: weeds grow fast and multiply rapidly. They can intrude on seedling vegies and if tall, block sunlight. Best to keep them under control! Plus you learn about your soil.

Bookmark   March 10, 2004 at 1:50AM
More Discussions
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
raspberrys and strawberries?
I have a row of raspberries being delivered in a few...
stoloniferous
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
Gardenias and tomatoes
I have a lovely gardenia tree that has a woven trunk...
ribsu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™