The Southern Living July article on Cam and her garden

dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)June 25, 2010

This was a great article but all too brief. Great photos,Freda.

The short list of deer resistant plants/shrubs lacked vitex which is one of those aromatic leaved plant materials that deer avoid. A valuable flowering tree, it can flower repeatedly three or four times a year if you deadhead the seed heads.

Bambi may leave coneflowers (echinacea) alone but Thumper eats this down to ground level. They also come back and eat any new growth sprouting from the echinacea roots.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dyhgarden(7b)

Dottie -- Steve selected the plants to feature and I had no idea what he'd use. He and the photographer walked around taking photos.

I have so many more plants than mentioned -- vitex, buddleia, monarda, salvia, ornamental grasses..and on and on.

Thumper and his buddies hang out in my garden and I ran two out last evening. The only repellent that I use is for rabbits, not deer, and I only spray rudbeckia and the echinacea when they are a few inches high. Once they are in bloom, I stop spraying. The repellent that works best for me is I MUST GARDEN that is made locally in Chapel HIll, but I have no affiliation with them.

Thanks for the feedback on the article.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 9:24AM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Freda, ever try Bobbex?

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 12:48PM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

Just got done reading the article and came here to post a thread about it - ya beat me Dottie :D - I agree it was all too brief - thank goodness we have her expert advice and knowledge on a pretty regular basis - both here and on several other GW forums plus her blog :) ......

Lynne

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 5:21PM
dyhgarden(7b)

Never tried Bobbex. I have so few plants to protect from rabbits (mostly the constantly reseeding rudbeckia) and the coneflower seedlings that I start.

Lynne - Thank you! I was a very reluctant subject for Steve. He was after me for over a year. I think I need another 10-15 years to get the garden the way I want it! :-)

If this heat doesn't kill all the plants....we've had no significant rain here in the month of June...the hottest on record. Was 101 yesterday.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 9:30AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Here in western Union Cty we watch the thunderclouds drench from SouthPark up to the lake areas while we get brief light showers on the perimeter of the storms.
Union never stopped the watering restrictions but I'm sure I'm not the only one sneaking extra water to the beds and shrubs.

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Heirloom Seeds
Greetings! I've been away for a while. Puzzled by...
columbiasc
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
Did he "crape-murder" my crape myrtle ?
My husband looked online for instructions on how to...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Sponsored Products
Nobi 5-foot Bench
Overstock.com
Pavoes Rectangular Platter
$115.00 | Horchow
Lafeu Contemporary Buddha Fountain
Lamps Plus
Diamond Garden Stool
$159.99 | Dot & Bo
Sand Wash 9-Inch Wall Sconce with Fan and Bullets Border Design
$84.60 | Bellacor