Roses around the corner from tomatoes?

emthomasphotoMarch 18, 2005

Him, my name is Courey, and I'm a space packer.

;)

I have about 10 tomato plants that need to go in the front of my porch so I can stake them there without worry. I grew them there last year and they did great. The dilema enters the equation with the new Climbing Peace I just bought. The only place it'll get adequate sun and support once I hang tressis is around the corner from the tomatoes up front. The base of the two plants would be about 2 feet away from each other. Apart from looking somewhat eclectic, are the rose and the tomato going to fight for nutrients?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TexasTina(Z8b San Antonio)

I'm no expert but the first year I gardened, when I knew practically nothing, I put a tomato plant on either side of a rose. Not a climber, but I don't know if it matters. The roses did fine, the tomatoes were delicious, and I enjoy being eclectic! The rose is still there and where the tomatoes were are now a society garlic and a Mexican Mint Marigold, which means I have to find another spot for this year's tomatoes. And of course, I won't hesitate to put them near my roses. I'll be watching this thread to see what others have to say also. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 4:06AM
emthomasphoto

Thanks for the response! I had to go ahead and plant that climber this past weekend, it was starting to look droopy sitting in its bucket. :p Hoping for the best... it's encouraging to hear that you've had success with that scenario in the past!

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 9:05AM
TexasTina(Z8b San Antonio)

Yes, I certainly did! And, I've never understood why it has to be a "vegetable" garden or a "flower" garden. Mine's just a garden. Roses and garlic and herbs, oh my! Do let me know how your tomatoes and their thorny neighbors do!

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 8:02PM
emthomasphoto

lol... my garden is the exact same way; a lil' fruit here, some herbs mixed in, veggies of course... and the flowers poking out wherever they can find the space!

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 1:35PM
emthomasphoto

I thought I would share what I found out. I borrowed the Carrots Loves Tomatoes book and read that in fact tomatoes and roses do make good companions; it is said in the book that tomato will protect roses from black spot.

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
New to companion planting
Hi There First to introduce myself. I live in Saudi...
saoodhashim
Do companion benefits still apply when not planted in same soil?
Hi! I couldn't think of a succinct way to pose this...
monsteraston
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
myrtle pot
Hello Everyone I've been quite a while trying to grow...
TalSlavisnki
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™