Companion Plantings for Tomatillos??

green_devo(7b, V. Island, BC)March 19, 2008

I've found dozens of list of companions plants for the usual vegetables, but does anyone out there know of companion plants for tomatillos? They aren't of the tomato family, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Any help would be great!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilikewinter

Hi- not sure if you still need help. I am growing tomatillos this year as well and haven't been able to find much out besides this: http://www.oracletown.com/garden/tips_tomato.html

At about 2/3 down page it talks about tomatillos, and basically says to grow them the same way as they list for tomatoes (except to use slightly less water). So, I am assuming they are saying to use the same recommendations on companion plants, as well. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 5:44PM
linrbradford_gmail_com

Hi - I've been growing tomatillos for 10 years, and yes, they do grow similar to tomatoes, but beware - unless you're planning to process them on a commercial scale (which I have done), a couple of plants will do you. THEY ARE PROLIFIC! They like lots of manure and/or compost and I generally cage them. Bees LOVE them! and you can make jam with them that tastes like clover honey! (at least that's been my personal experience with them) Have fun with your garden!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 7:54AM
lavendeldame

i can't find any companions for it either, but this WAS interesting . . .

'Tomatillos are almost completely self-incompatible and require at least two plants to normally produce fruit.'

Here is a link that might be useful: tomatillo

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 6:34PM
lavendeldame

thanks for the link! and yes! we're definitely growing them again this year. we only need 2 plants for our family of 5! and i still have enough to share with all the neighbors.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 5:46PM
gunnersm8

thats funny, i only grew one year ago, and had fruit. wonder if they intermingled with the tomatoes?

planning on anaheims and tomatillos this year to make salsa verde...

Bookmark   January 19, 2012 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™