3 Sisters Companion Herbs and Flowers?

Crab-Grass(5)March 9, 2014

I have a plot of garden that I have been composting for the last year to get it ready for a 3 Sisters garden. I am planning on edging my garden space with cinder blocks to help with soil erosion (It's ever so slightly sloped). I figured I would take advantage of the spaces in the cinder blocks to plant flowers or herbs to help attract pollinators. Does anyone have any suggestions for companion plants that will benefit corn, squash and beans?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TreeHugginMomma(8 LA)

I'm also growing a 3 Sisters garden this year. I did a little research and came up with a few friends of the sisters. Marigolds, dill, cosmos and sunflowers are the direction I'm going with mine. I have also read of people growing lettuce among the cover of the squash vines. I have a salad garden already so
I'm not going to try that this year. I bet the dill would grow inside squares of those blocks.:) Dill attracts ladybugs. The marigold is a pest deterrent. The cosmos and sunflowers attract pollinators. If you get a chance, check out the Old Farmers Almanac. It has a 3 Sister Garden page and a Companion chart.

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 5:23AM
More Discussions
Companion plants for roses???
What are good companion plants for roses in partial...
putri.m
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
MeaWea
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
raspberrys and strawberries?
I have a row of raspberries being delivered in a few...
stoloniferous
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™