Potting Mix

joncha(9a)March 29, 2014

Well a pictures worth a thousand words. I like to experiment with making potting mixes.

I need to make a batch of potting medium to repot a tangelo tree and plant two new golden bamboos and a new pride of madera in clay pots.

I found this product called Kelloggs Raised Bed & Potting Mix which has coir as the second ingredient and perlite as the third so it should drain good by itself. I plan to use 30% of this product, 10% organic compost, 20% Perlite, 20% small sized pathway bark and 20% kiln dried red cedar shavings designed for use as animal bedding.

I also use a couple of wicks per plant to suck moisture out of the bottom of the container.

I have read the Tapla writings and I would like to try that gritty mix. But I do not have access to turface so I make mixes like this instead.

Any friendly critiques would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH

I use crushed bricks 3/8 to 3/4 inch in size. I'll be adding as much organic compost that will fill in the voids in the angular crushed brick pieces for my kumquat trees. The kumquat will be in bottomless 5 gallon buckets. My tangerine trees will go in a mix with 3 parts of coarse sand to one part of crushed brick. I will be adding 3 parts of organic compost. This mix has worked wonders for me and it sounds like you have a good mix coming on your self.

Steve

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 11:06PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Sounds like a very moisture-retentive mix overall....so good luck.

I will offer one piece of advice, however: do not use the cedar shavings. They will decompose and collapse very quickly.

Josh

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 12:27PM
joncha(9a)

Thanks for the info.

Many of my potted citrus trees sit in large wooden boxes and large clay pots in full afternoon sun. During the summer months I will get many days over 100 degrees. I almost feel sorry for the potted trees.

With my experimental potting mixes I am trying to balance drainage issues with the positive cooling effects on the roots of wetter more water retentive mediums in hot desert like climates like mine.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sponsored Products
Bambooesque Table Lamp by Global Views
$1,072.50 | Lumens
Evans - Four-seat, fabric modular sofa
Interior Define
Terra Cotta 24-Inch Wheeled Plant Dolly
Overstock.com
Set of Two Richmond Chairs
Grandin Road
Illume Pineapple Cilantro Room & Linen Spray
$24.50 | FRONTGATE