Myer Lemons not growing!

burleybutt(8b)March 3, 2012

Greetings: I purchased an Improved Myer Lemon from a nursery in late summer. I'm in San Antonio. I then transferred it to a large clay pot, 12" H x 14" diam.I bring it in during the winter when temps. get near freezing. It produced a lot of flowers and set fruit. Problem is that the lemons are the size of a pea and have been for a couple months.I feed with sea weed extract.Any idea what's going on? How long does a lemon normally take to reach mature size? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Time to mature? The primary bloom of Meyers is in January to March; and the fruit is ready to harvest beginning about November. As for your tree, it is likely underfertilized; Meyers are heavy feeders and in containers need to be fertilized at least 4 times per year with a good balanced citrus fertilizer according to label directions. I doubt your sea weed is giving the plant what it needs; but if you post some fotos, we could give you a better guess.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 5:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TimSF(CA Z8B/Sunset17)

Hi burley,

There are a couple things you should keep in mind regarding citrus trees in particular:

1) First, as John indicates, they are very heavy feeders requiring relatively large amounts of N (especially), P, and K with smaller amounts of Fe, Zn, Mg, Mn, S, Ca, etc. A lot of us here use fertilizers with the ratios in the range of 3-1-2 (such as Foliage Pro, for example) with much success. So, definitely DO CHECK your seaweed fertilizer to make sure you have these essential AND micronutrient elements to rule out nutrient deficiency. Also, how are you watering your Meyer/how do you know it's time to water? Remember that they don't want to be continually moist (and even less so during the winter months when they should be in dormancy), as this will impair root uptake of both water and nutrients and could lead to root rot eventually. One of the best means to test when water is needed is the wooden dowel/BBQ skewer method.

2) Citrus need to be a certain age to be able to hold fruit (usually 2-4 yrs for grafted ones), and they self-thin and hold onto as much fruit as they can bear. Therefore, it's all the more reason to keep them well fed with the appropriate fertilizer throughout the growing season and to provide lots of sunlight (South-facing window is best) when indoors.

I suspect that your tree is just too young to hold fruit. Have patience and before too long you'll have more than you'll know what to do with.

Tim

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™