New clematis care

kathryn_gardens(6)April 16, 2010

Hi! I'm new to the forum!

I have a good sized perennial garden in which I have two nice sized clematis who are doing quite well.

These were both transplanted from other places in the yard when we created the perennial bed.

I want to add some new ones I purchased this year and I am curious about first year care for young plants. They are both in one quart pots. One is an Elsa Plath and I can't remember the name of the other but the bloom color matches the maroon one that is already established.

Also, last year I planted a small white Jackmannii and it is quite short but covered in buds already. I had thought it would get taller first. Is this normal? I have a vague memory that sometimes you dis-bud young clematis or is this a myth?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Newly planted Clematis should be hard pruned the first couple of years to restrict growth and let their root systems catch up to top growth.

Jackmannii wants hard pruning every year.

If the one quart pots look puny then pot them up into gallons (setting them deeper than they are now) and plant them out in the fall after they have grown more.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathryn_gardens(6)

Thank you. Hard pruning for young plants. Then I shall disbud the little Jackmannii.

The two new ones are quite robust and have buds but I'll prune those back as well.

Again, many thanks.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
Clematis Princess Kate
Hmm, a new Texensis, looks pretty spiffy. Let's see...
boday
Clematis Question?
I am just giving my clematis (Guernsey Cream) a very...
gardenbug
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
ianrtaylor
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™