oro blancos

houstontexas123(z9a)March 11, 2012

the 99 ranch grocery store off I-10 katy freeway and Blalock has a large shipment of oro blancos for $.59/lb bought two to try. tasted like lemonade, very juicy. gonna go back later this week to get some more.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tantanman(z9Tx)

The last ones I bought were from there and they were so
sour I couldn't eat them. That was about two yrs ago.

John Panzarella says he has tried to grow them at his house in Lake Jackson and they never get sweet enough to eat. My place is about 10 miles from his.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 8:20PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Wow. We grow Oroblancos here in the coastal area of San Diego county specifically because they will sweeten up without a lot of heat. They are our "go to" grapefruit (they're actually a hybrid), since standard grapefruits just don't do so well due to our lack of heat/prolonged heat. Mine were so sweet and delicious this year, just amazing. Same with the Melogolds (another hybrid from the identical same cross.) If it gets to 90 here, we're REALLY hot.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 11:49PM
w2p2k

I have an oro blanco tree (SF bay area) and the fruit is never sweet :( I do have a Chinese Grapefruit (pomelo) that does get sweet though.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:13PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Well, you're just probably not quite warm enough, w2p2k. It's the pummelo cross that makes the Oroblanco sweet enough to eat here. 100% pummelos should sweeten up without the heat, like a 100% grapefruit cultivar needs. Although, we've been able to grow Rio Red grapefruits here very successfully. And, I'm thinking you probably? have a Mato Buntan pummelo, which is very sweet. The true Chinese pummelo isn't so sweet, and tends to be bitter. It is technically a Chinese pummelo, but comes now from Japan (via Taiwan, and previously and originally from China.) I have one and it is very sweet. They are often sold as a "Chinese pummelo" but really aren't. But, if you got it from Four Winds, it is a Chinese pummelo. Clear as mud??

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:23PM
w2p2k

Thanks for the info Patty. My "Chinese Grapefruit/Pummelo" is from Four Winds. But it's not bitter at all, so maybe it's a Mato Butan after all. My Rio Red Grapefruit is always sour as well, but I guess that's due to the weather.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:47PM
tantanman(z9Tx)

Patty,

I think you get Rio Reds to sweeten up because they like all the sunshine you get in the fall. That may be why Henderson and Ray Ruby do OK here on years even when we have less sun. They all get summer heat.

BTW my trees are now near mid bloom and the fragrance drifts across the street now. It is awesome.

Larry

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
My Lemon Cleaning Miracle - Excess Lemons!!
So, I'm sitting at the dining table last night gazing...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™