Flowers under Tulip Poplar?

LindaVA(z7 VA)April 26, 2003

I have tried for years to grow shade loving annuals under a Tulip Poplar in my backyard. Nothing does very well. Does this tree make the soil hostile to other plants? I do have a hosta that seems fairly content under it. It would be nice to have some color. Maybe I should just plant more hosta. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwberns(Zone6 NJ)

I haven't tried any annuals, but between two tulip poplars in my yard, I have Virginia Bluebells (mertensia) and Epimedium blooming like crazy right now. They have spread each year since I've planted them. I also have Foamflower (tiarella), Japanese painted ferns (athyrium nipponicum pictum, and fern-leaf bleeding hearts (dicentra eximia)that do well, in addition to a number of small hostas. My checkered lily bulbs (fritillaria meleagris)look darling. I have a terrific clump of Lenten Rose (helleborus orientalis) but I hesitate to recommend it, since two knowledgeable horticulturists I know protest that there is no reason for it to do so well there. I also have a Magpie columbine (aquilegia) that struggles, but I love it just the same. Believe me, I've killed plenty of things I've tried there, so I understand your frustration. Whatever success I've had, I attribute to this: Digging deep and repeatedly to get rid of English Ivy that insisted on sneaking around for years, planting each plant with a generous pot-full of compost, and tossing some more on the bed whenever I get around to it, and keeping soaker hoses around the plants (but under mulch) to use during dry summer weeks. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 27, 2003 at 5:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jazz4cash(7)

good ol impatens works for us

Bookmark   June 7, 2004 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™