montbretia (Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

luvacorgiApril 21, 2002

This is a beautiful red plant that I want to mix into my informal beds which are mostly pinks,blue. I am not sure what to put with this plant. My preferrence would be to cool it rather than warm it up. I want to put it in front of a grey deck with white lattice around edges. I appreciate any info you can offer.

Also, I don't want a shrub and this would be something on the side to fill a bed or in front of it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvacorgi

I should have done a search first. I found some wonderful ideas. Thanks anyway. I LOVE this place!

Bookmark   April 21, 2002 at 12:08PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

This is really late, but I saw a photo of Crocosmia "Lucifer" inter-planted with blue Sea Holly - gorgeous. May I ask what other ideas you have found? Thanks-
-Sprout

Bookmark   June 20, 2003 at 11:05PM
bouquet(z8 Dallas)

I have some that comes up around some bright red 'Peggy's Strawberry Surprise' daylilies. I didn't plan it that way but I like the way it looks. I also like how it looks against 'Indian Summer' rudbeckias, bronze fennel and salvia gregii in another area.

Bookmark   June 25, 2003 at 8:27AM
ponderinstuff(7)

I just read later responses tonight. I did a search on this site and there are many ideas (just type in at top and search). Someone posted a site that is on the Crocosmia and gives companion ideas and care so I'll post that here for others to see.

I decided to move them this fall when they die back...I have a better spot so I didn't actually do companion plants. Just to fill in spots this summer I used some left over white cosmos. They looked really nice with the fern folliage and bright whites peeking through, and I still have blooms now that the Lucifer has stopped blooming.

Here's the site. Happy planting!

http://www.greatplantpicks.org/content/Plant_Information/PDF_files_fact_sheets/CrocosmiaLucifer.pdf

Bookmark   August 25, 2003 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
What plant is this?
Goodafternoon I will appreciate very much if someone...
warrier
Liatris, Grape Hyancith and Nodding Onion
I saw a "bargain bag" of Liatris at Lowes. I'm...
edlincoln
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™