Red Hot Poker(Kniphofia) companion?

kittymommy(z9LA)April 17, 2004

I would like to grow something taller behind my poker plants other than cannas or cigar plant. An added bonus would be if the suggested plant attracts butterflies or hummingbirds. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ponderinstuff(7)

What about a butterfly bush. They come in shades of purple or a white that would compliment the color.

Bookmark   April 18, 2004 at 11:43PM
eden(z6/Mo)

Hysop gets pretty large and it is purple -probably a good contrast. Hummingbirds love it. Devil's Dart is beautiful but won't get taller than the poker lily. Devil's Dart is a neon puple blue and gets about 3 1/2' tall.

Bookmark   May 2, 2004 at 9:31PM
youthman(z5 Mo)

have you thought about fennel or bronze fennel? both get tall, yellow flowers and catapillars feed on them.

Bookmark   May 12, 2004 at 9:36AM
flowersandthings(MidAtlantic 6/7)

The butterfly bush is a very good idea and so is the fennel be careful though in warm zones both can self sow to nuisance point so clip the flowers before they go to seed....... Eremurus foxtail lily in red or orange or yellow or white? if you want to capitalize on the kniphofia shape or yucca....... Clerodendrum speciosissimum glory bower is a red flowered shorter shrub that would look nice behind it...... I think it attracts butterflies it might be marginally hardy in your zone ....... Some of the salvias would be nice...... Salvia coccinea or mexican bush salvia or sage....... I think all salvias attract butterflies....... Euryops pectinatus is a nice plant that would work well....... Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is also a nice plant you could use yellow or white? or red....... it attracts hummingbirds...... but not butterflies......... something more tropical definitely..... you have alot of choices for you zone!!!!!! ........ :) ......

Bookmark   May 14, 2004 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Do companion benefits still apply when not planted in same soil?
Hi! I couldn't think of a succinct way to pose this...
monsteraston
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
Vegetable Companion Chart
There are still requests for my chart. That can only...
organicdan
Companion plants for roses???
What are good companion plants for roses in partial...
putri.m
strawberries as a groundcover in potted fruit trees/bushes/vines?
Is it a good idea to use strawberries as a groundcover...
lawanddisorder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™