Lilac companions/evergreen

Diane_in_MA(z6 MA)April 25, 2005

I started a border garden 4 yrs ago with 4 President Grevy lilac bushes which are now 5-6 ft tall, 4 feet wide, and planted about 8 feet apart. They are growing slowly and I would like to add some winter interest with something evergreen and have the important bonus of privacy from neighbors. It is a SW corner location on the lot. There are woods south of the planting area so there is some shade in afternoon, but it does average moderate sun. I've had no luck anywhere in the yard with mountain laurel, so that's not an option. The soil is heavy and rocky, but I will bring in new soil for the new plants. The lilacs get powdery mildew every year but bloom beautifully in spring. Any suggestions for evergreen companions that are fast growing and hardy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower(7)

either a red-twigged dogwood or burning bush would give you the winter interest, the burning bush is REALLY fast growing

(though they naturalize a little too freely for some people, under our maple and walnut canopy, anything that LIVES is a blessing)

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 1:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)

Burning Bush is one of the shrubs we are asked not plant because the birds reseed it to the degree that indigenous plants are endangered.

Bookmark   March 10, 2007 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
Emerogork2
How far/close?
When reading companion planting guides I've been wondering...
llilibel03
Companions for random edibles
This is my first year trying container gardening so...
MeaWea
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™