Conflicting info on nasturtiums and tomatoes

insomniac23(z8 Oregon)April 21, 2005

Hi everyone. I have been reading posts, books, and looking at internet sites - some list nasturtiums as a good companion plant for tomatoes, and some list it as an antagonistic plant. Anyone care to share their growing experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

I've found nasturtiums to be great companion plants for my tomatoes. I would recommend planting them a few feet away, and letting them vine their way among the tomatoes, since nasturtiums have rather large, aggressive root systems (at least in my garden - I pull them up at the end of the season, and get 2-3 feet of roots from each plant). The tomatoes don't need competition. They do look great together. I use the nasturtiums as a "trap crop" for aphids; when they look ratty, I cut back the affected stems and leave the rest to grow on.

I do prefer to grow "bushy" nasturtiums, especially 'Alaska.' They'll travel a few feet, but not climb all over the tomato trellises. I grew 'Moonlight' one year, and it practically took over the garden.

Laurelin

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 12:31PM
mommyandme

I kind of like the climbing ones in the tomato cages. I think they look pretty. My tomato plants don't seem to mind the competition.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 3:56PM
noblefishing

What do you think about planting Borage, Chamomile, Geraniums or Petunias? I need some advise for my grandmas garden. I was planning on planting tomatos, bell peppers, basil, and some of these flowers to prevent afids, and tomato worm, any help would be great. Please email at noblefishing@gmail.com or call/text at (619) 947-1709

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
sweet potato vine
I just recieved several sweet potato vines as a gift....
m. west - 8
Companion plant for Kale
Hello I have grown Kale for the first time and it has...
LoveComposting
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
Bell peppers and Four o'clock flowers
Is it safe to plant four o'clock flowers along side...
Mela765
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™