weird foamy looking ? fungus

swarminaJune 18, 2006

I have a ? about something I saw on a monkey grass plant this w/e. It is white, soft, puffy, foamy looking, almost like marshmallow and was all around the base of the plant and leaves. It had some more slimy looking clearer stuff at the base. I tried to hose it off and some of it was pretty tenacious. I ended up just digging up the plant and tossing it and sprayed fungicide in the area. What the heck is it??? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodywoodchuck(Wake Forest, NC 7)

Noticed a similar fungus near my daylillies only this was yellow. Did look like melted marshmallows, up to an inch thick and appears to be only on top of the soil. I attributed it to all the rain we had last week.

It was half on tripple shredded hardwood mulch spred in the early spring and soil ammended with lots of leaf mulch. It did spread to bare soil on one end. Sorry I didn't get a picture before removing it!

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 7:41AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Both of these sound like one of the many slime fungus, a totally harmless but unsightly organism. If so, fungicides are not warranted. Images would help, of course.

Slime molds come in a wide variety of colors and textures, and are often found growing on mulch, though that is not a prerequisite. Some species will actually move around as it develops, even crawling over sidewalks, etc.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 8:37AM
lucky_p

Cuz'n Dorie nailed it. Slime mold, frequently referred to in lay terms as "dog-vomit fungus". Neat stuff, if unsightly, and non-hazardous, to boot.

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 11:21AM
woodywoodchuck(Wake Forest, NC 7)

Great news, thank you. I simply scraped up what I could and tossed it in the way back woods. The dog-vomit fungus is a perfect description.

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
Looking for orange lily
About 7 years ago I bought an orange lily from a horticulturist...
bonnie_il
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
Looking for some medium tomato ideas
I am not really interested in growing the biggest tomato....
minuet_7a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™