new plants, new combos?

marinazApril 11, 2005

I have a small garden in brooklyn. i just bought several salvia may night plants, sedum neon plants, and cosmos red and sunny delight seeds. do you think these will go well together? whenever I buy plants, i have ahard time getting the heights right.

the sunny bed i plan to pu these in also have a fair bit of reddish/pink yarrow, in the middle (versus the front or back.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurelin(z5a/4b Upstate NY)

Hello Marinaz,

I have the salvia 'May Night.' Once established, it's one tough customer, and can get pretty big (2'x2'). I love the color, although I'm not enamoured of the smell of the leaves. I have it in two locations. In one spot it's planted with a pink 'Betty Prior' rose, blue and yellow 'Edith Wolford' irises, and lavender-blue 'Wonder of Staffa' asters. The dark blue is a good foil for warm or cool colors, I would think. In the other location I have it with a pinkish tall liatris, aster 'Bluebird,' lamb's ears, knautia macedonica, ornamental onions, and a 'Blaze' rose. I often front my perennials with white alyssum or pansies (depending on the amount of shade nearby).

Have fun, and be adventurous. If you like warm colors, maybe some warm-toned daylilies or irises might be a good choice.

Laurelin

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 11:45AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marinaz

Thanks Laurelin.
I am going to put in the neon sedum, keep the cosmos elsewhere. I planted white alyssum in front, have some feverfew nearby and a lot of irises and an enormous amount of yarrow around (a mystery as to what kind, as they were given to me late last autumn!)

Marina

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Gardenias and tomatoes
I have a lovely gardenia tree that has a woven trunk...
ribsu
Forsythia and Emperor Orange Tulips
This plant is over 40 years old. Every year just after...
emerogork2
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
My companioning plan--does it work?
Hi there, I posted this in the Vegetable Gardening...
ilovecucumbers
Companion plants for roses???
What are good companion plants for roses in partial...
putri.m
Sponsored Products
Cascade Chandelier by Trend Lighting
$4,500.00 | Lumens
Giant Phal Orchid with Vase Arrangement
Overstock.com
Worth Kids Tool Set - W0015
$29.99 | Hayneedle
K'NEX Plants vs. Zombies Football Helmet Mech Building Set - 53488
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Yellow Cone Flower D├ęcor
$32.99 | zulily