edibles near castor bean

chris_ont(5a Ont)April 15, 2012

I would like to plant a castor bean near the house because the foliage would look stunning against the white-painted brick.

However, I will also be planting swiss chard, lettuce and herbs within about 5-10 of that spot.

Am I taking my life in my hands?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robbie3(6a)

I assume that your concern is because the Castor bean plant and its seeds are poisonous? The castor bean plant is big, beautiful and said to repel moles and plant lice. It is also recommended as an edible garden companion plant. If planted in the proper location, it can provide valuable cooling shade necessary for your tender veggies in the heat of summer. That being said, be careful when harvesting veggies grown around any toxic plant. Be sure there are no parts of the Castor plant cut or mixed in with your veggie cuttings. Wash your veggies well before eating and make sure the Castor plant does not devour your garden. It gets BIG! The Castor plant can be composted if done properly. You can harvest the seeds for planting the following year.

If you want to comopst the plant, there is a thread about that in this forum, use the search to read it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ricin the toxic element of Castor Beans

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 7:51AM
More Discussions
Companion plants for roses???
What are good companion plants for roses in partial...
putri.m
Companion plants for bleeding hearts
Help! I have a beautiful bleeding heart garden by my...
boodel
companions for asparagus
In the spring I'm planting a large bed of asparagus....
penny_md6
What would grow well under citrus trees
I'm looking for a companion plant for my orange and...
tbug
Where to plant oregano???
Hola everybody, I'm growing a lot of herbs and vegetables...
sabshier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™